- B.Com (Acocunting) (cum laude) – RAU
- B.Com (Accounting) Honours (cum laude) – UJ
- Certificate in Theory of Accounting (cum laude) – UJ
- Accounting Professional Training (APT) Course (with distinction)
- Chatered Accountant (South Africa)
- Financial Accounting to 3rd year graduate students:
- Financial Accounting C
- Financial Accounting D
- Golden Key Certificate for outstanding Scholastic Achievement and Excellence.
- Golden Key/PPS Certificate (award) in recognition of Superior Scholastic Attainments and Outstanding Academic Merit.
- PPS Chairman’s Award.
- Qualifying examination (QE) Part 1 of the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA) (with honours) – Placed in sixth position countrywide.
- Public Practice Examination (PPE) of the Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors (IRBA) (with honours) – Placed in fourth position countrywide.
- Monash SA PVC awards – Newcomer of the year 2011
- Commendation by Pro Vice-Chancellor (Teaching and learning), Monash Australia on exceptional teaching evaluations in 2012 – 2014.
- Monash University Business and Economics Dean’s Commendation for Teaching Excellence – 2013
- Best paper award at Southern African Accounting Association Teaching and Learning conference December 2014.
- SAICA top 35-under-35 finalist 2017.
- Published articles in Mail&Guardian, Business Brief.
My research interests focus in the areas of technical accounting aspects (i.e. financial reporting and fair value accounting), as well as research regarding the impact of accounting changes on company compliance.
Further research focusses on accounting education, accounting teaching and classroom techniques.
Lastly, I also focus on integrated research with other topics, including taxation, governance, sustainability and water accounting.
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
- Pidduck, T & Odendaal, K. 2013: CUSTOMER LOYALTY PROGRAMMES: THE LOSS TO THE FISCUS IN SOUTH AFRICA. International Business & Economics Research Journal.
(Publishing date: December 2013)
- Odendaal, K & Pidduck, T. 2013: AVOIDING TAX IN SOUTH AFRICA’S RETAIL INDUSTRY VIA CUSTOMER LOYALTY PROGRAMMES International Journal of Economics. (Publishing date: September 2014)
- Pidduck, T, Kirsten, M, Pleace, L, de Winnaar, K & Odendaal, K. 2019 PROGRESSIVE TAX: A PROPOSAL FOR CUSTOMER LOYALTY PROGRAMMES. Pacific Accounting Review.
Full-length, peer reviewed conference proceedings
Odendaal, K & van der Merwe, N (2017): Students’ Preferences in Solving Accounting Problems: Framework-based approach vs Prescriptive approach. 2017 Southern African Accounting Association Biennial International Conference Proceedings. (ISBN 978-0-620-74762-2) (Publishing date: July 2017)
International Conference Presentations
3 International conference presentations
national Conference Presentations
7 national conference presentations
Other Professional Activities
- Member of South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA).
- Member of South African Accounting Association (SAAA).
- Guest lectures presented at CA Academy, FLB, University of KZN Thuthuka programme on graduate and honours level. Also external exam moderator for various universities.
- Marking professional qualifying exam papers for SAICA examinations.
- Attendance and contributions to SAICA’s Accounting Practices Committee (APC).
- External examiner for Master’s degrees at NWU.
- Ernst & Young financial reporting updates.
- Exam-sitter for the Independent Regulatory Board for Auditors (IRBA)’s qualifying examination.
- Panel member for University of Johannesburg Self-evaluation review (SER) of Honours programme in Accounting with specialisation in Accounting, Taxation and Internal Auditing.
- Prepared and took leadership for full SAICA accreditation visit (every 5 years). Improved rating of undergraduate programme.
- Completed successful MSA internal review of BBusSci with specialisation in Accounting undergraduate programme.
- Panel member for MSA Self-evaluation review (SER) of the Honours programme in IT.