- ACS2760 Auditing A
- ACS2700 Business Ethics, Corporate Governance and Professional Conduct
- 2013 Featured in City Press Business Section – Winning Women
- 2013 Featured in Accountancy SA magazine (SAICA) – Inspiring CA (SA) Women
- 2013 Business Plan for Education Business selected as TOP 15 in a Gordon Institute of Business Science Women Entrepreneurship Program
- 2012 ROCCI/ FNB Education business of the year 2nd place (Shareholder of TTLI Pty Ltd)
- 2011 ROCCI/FNB Small business of the year 3rd place (Shareholder of TTLI Pty Ltd)
- 2010 & 2011 SACCI (South African Chamber of Commerce & Industry) Business woman finalist
- 2009 ROCCI FNB Business Woman Community Champion 2nd Place
- 2009 Mrs United Nation SA 2nd & Business woman award
- 1999 – 2001 Deloitte – appointed as accountant in charge from 2nd year, normally a role for a 3rd year
- 1998 UJ – selected by B Com Accounting Honours class as class committee member.
- 1994 Receive the Beyers Naude Trophy – Most dedicated student – Grade 12.
- 1994 Achieve 3rd academic place in Grade 12 class.
Professional bodies associations
- Member of South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA).
- 2003 – 2006 Accounting Education
During this period research and write 10 papers and present 2 papers at
International conferences on Accounting Education in South Africa and
receive a Master’s Degree Cum Laude from UJ on assessment methods
in Financial Accounting. Contribute, as co-author, to a chapter in an
International book on the impact of globalization of accounting standards
in South Africa.
- 2007 – 2013 Professional Pervasive skills of Chartered Accountants
Research the professional skills of the CA (SA): write 20 articles (1500
3000 words each) for the Accountancy SA magazine, record 23 MP3
audio talks (20-30 minutes each), present on Media Chartered
Accountant Television (SAICA subscription channel on DSTV) on this
research and publish in a book by Knowledge Resources on mentoring
CA (SA) s in the workplace.Develop and implement a coaching program for CA (SA) students and trainee accountants, aligned with the professional skills competencies of the SAICA training model. SAICA, Investec and Nedbank invest in this program.Develop a training program: Personal Financial Leadership. Present this country wide for Standard Bank Group Physical Security Employees and Village Main Reef Interns.
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
- Anderson MA, Dean RA, Ding DKY, Du Plessis A, Hoover SA, Kester GW & Skully M (2008). How students outside the United States view the case method of teaching. Advances in financial education, Vol. 6, 159-172, Winter 2008. USA.
- Du Plessis A, Hoover SA & Kester GW (2008). The perceptions of accounting and finance students in South Africa on cases versus lectures. Journal of the academy of business education, Vol. 8, 2007. USA.
Books and Chapters in Books
- Du Plessis A, Edwards I, Schelluch P, Struweg J & West A (2007). Globalisation and accounting reforms in an emerging market economy: a case study in South Africa. Globalisation of accounting standards: Monash studies in global movements, 275-294. Godfrey JM & Chalmers K (Ed). Australia: Edward Elgar.
- Du Plessis A (2012). Mentoring to retain talent. Mentoring & Coaching, 69-72. South Africa: Knowledge Resources.
- Du Plessis A (2007). Assessment of learning in Accounting at first year level in Higher Education: Promoting a deep-approach-to-learning. Full thesis. South Africa: University of Johannesburg.
- Du Plessis A (2003). Personal essay – my socialisation process. Research assignment – WITS Honours degree course: social world of education, training and development (14 April 2003).
- Du Plessis A (2003). Action research project – eating disorders. Research assignment Randburg Gemeente – WITS Honours degree course: education, training and development course (2 May 2003).
- Du Plessis A (2003). Designing a teaching portfolio in an Accounting context. Research assignment – WITS Honours degree course: education, training and development course (9 June 2003).
- Du Plessis A (2003). Case study – attitude change intervention on diversity in an Accounting context. Research assignment – WITS Honours degree course: social world of education, training and development (10 June 2003).
- Du Plessis A (2003). Curriculum defined in an Accounting context. Research assignment – WITS Honours degree course: curriculum development and design (1 September 2003).
- Du Plessis A (2003). Materials evaluation – 1st year Accounting. Research assignment – WITS Honours degree course: curriculum development and design (13 October 2003).
- Du Plessis A (2003). Curriculum plan for Accounting 1 to address language barrier. Research paper at WITS University – Honours degree course: curriculum development and design (3 November 2003).
- Du Plessis A (2003). Challenge cultural models of Accounting students through a curriculum plan. Research paper at WITS University – Honours degree course: learning and teaching in adulthood (10 November 2003).
- Du Plessis A & Burger D. (2012). Skills analysis and intervention for teachers and principals in Gauteng. Study conducted in 2012 for Monash SA and Gauteng Department of Education, Ruimsig, Johannesburg.
International Conference Presentations
- Du Plessis A. (2005). Needs analysis: Teaching Accounting to a visually impaired student. Paper presented and published proceedings of the 2005 International conference on business, Hawaii, United Stated of America, 26-29 May 2005.
- Du Plessis A (2006). Curriculum plan to introduce the accounting language to English second language users. Paper presented and published proceedings of the 11th Accounting Congress: new challenges of accounting, ethics, independence and critical thought, Coimbra, Portugal, 16-18 November 2006.
National Conference Presentations
- Du Plessis A. (2010). Pilot study – Profiling SAICA Thuthuka students. Study conducted in 2010 and presented to the SAICA Thuthuka Board, Bedfordview, Johannesburg.
- Du Plessis A (2011). Femme Fatale – CA (SA) woman leaders in South African business. Paper presented at the 2nd International mentoring network conference, Johannesburg, South Africa, 27-28 July 2011.
PRESENT ON MCATV – SAICA CPD DSTV SUBCRIPTION CHANNEL FOR CA (SA)’S
- 10 minute talks presented as part of the Therapeia “softer issues” series
Why the softer issues. Johannesburg, South Africa, 27 April 2010.
Authentic personal brand. Johannesburg, South Africa, 27 April 2010.
Leadership lessons from CA (SA) women leaders. Johannesburg, South Africa, 4 August 2010.
Moral intelligence. Johannesburg, South Africa, 4 August 2010.
1000 tribes – silos in businesses. Johannesburg, South Africa, 4 October 2010.
The core – customers. Johannesburg, South Africa, 4 October 2010.
INVITED PRESENTER FOR WOMEN EVENTS
- Is ek vet of maer genoeg? (60 minute talk)
Presented at Randburg church, Johannesburg, South Africa, May 2003
Presented at West Ridge high school women event, Johannesburg, South Africa, August 2008.
Presented at Vryheid Dutch Reformed church, Vryheid, South Africa, 30 June 2010.
- Leef jou styl met egtheid en passie (45 minute talk)
Presented at Florida High school women event, Florida, Johannesburg, South Africa, August 2008.
Presented at Mrs. United Nations Vryheid women event, Vryheid, South Africa, August 2009.
Presented at AGS Waterkloof women’s day event, Pretoria, South Africa, October 2009.
- The butterfly effect – consequences of actions (15 minute talk)
Presented at Lady ROCCI event, Ruimsig, Johannesburg, South Africa, 18 February 2010.
- Remember yesterday, value today, hope for tomorrow (30 minute talk)
Presented at PWC Women EMPOWA event, Johannesburg, South Africa, 9 August 2008.
- Authentic personal brand (15 minute to 1hr talk)
Presented at Monash SA Student Women Leadership session, Ruimsig, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2007. Presented at Knowledge Recourses PA Conference, Fourways, Johannesburg, South Africa, May 2009.
Presented at Lady ROCCI event, Cradle of Humandkind, Johannesburg, South Africa, May 2009.
Presented at Altimax women’s day event, Midrand, South Africa, 9 August 2009.
Presented at POA women’s day event, Melrose Arch, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2009.
Presented at SAICA Staff event, Bedfordview, Johannesburg, South Africa, February 2010.
Presented at WITS residence academic awards, Johannesburg, South Africa, May 2011.
- Master of ceremonies/conference chair
Mosaiek women’s ministry event, Johannesburg, South Africa, July 2004.
Mosaiek women’s ministry event, Johannesburg, South Africa, May 2005.
Knowledge Recourses PA Conference, Fourways, Johannesburg, South Africa, May 2009
Other Professional Activities
- Du Plessis A, (2008-2013). 20 articles on the soft skills of the CA (SA). 1 500-3 000 words each. Accountancy SA journal. South Africa: SAICA.2008
A different language called kinesics
Building a moral intelligent culture
Building an authentic leadership image
Revive mentoring to retain your talent2009 – 2010
Branding Issue (3 articles per Issue)
Leadership Issue (3 articles per Issue)
People Issue (3 articles per Issue)
Learning Issue (3 articles per Issue)
Conduct Issue (3 articles per Issue)
Cutting edge Issue (study lessons from SAICA Thuthuka students)
Leadership & Management Issue (interviews with 5 CA (SA) women leaders)
A thought leadership conversation with Brand Pretorius
Investing in the core – Customers
Personal financial leadership
Social entrepreneurship – interview with Natalie Zimmelman (AATSA)
The softer issues (budget for it)
Women in the profession setup up
Matching passion with results (study lessons from Investec & Thuthuka students)
- 2013 – Front page articles
Driven humility – Interview with Suresh Kana (CEO PWC)
Facing the giants – Interview with SekelaXabisoAUDIO MP3 RECORDINGS / TALKS
- Du Plessis A (2008-2012). 23 audio recordings on the soft skills of the CA (SA). 20-30 minutes each. South Africa: ThembaThandeka Leadership Institute Pty Ltd.2008
Manage your image – even Winston Churchill did
Revive mentoring to retain talent2009
21 irrefutable laws of life
1000 tribes syndrome in business – Silos
An authentic personal brand makes you memorable
Invest in the core of your business – customers
Non-linear leadership principles
Unlock employees’ potential – the process
Butterfly effect – consequences of our actions
Power of the story 1 – Corrie Ten Boom & Helen Keller
Power of the story 2 – CA (SA) Thuthuka students
Power of the story 3 – lessons from CA (SA) leaders
Power of the story 4 – learning from my career
Power of the story 5 – personal financial leaders
Power of the story 6 – SA entrepreneurs
Budget for soft skills training – it increase profits
To be a cutting edge CA (SA) student
Interview with Brand Pretorius (Ex-CEO McCarthy Ltd) – Thought leadership
Interview with Hermann Du Plessis (MD TTLI) – Leadership coaching
Interview with Marina Francis (Carl Zeiss) – human capital in a developing country
Interview with Mark Roux (Deloitte) – corporate social performance
Interview with Sakkie Stoltz (ROCCI) – Marketing for a sustainable business