Position: Lecturer in Accounting
Applications accepted until: 7 April 2021
Campus/Business Unit: IIE MSA Ruimsig
Direct Reporting Line: Programme Manager
ABOUT IIE MSA
IIE MSA, formerly known as Monash South Africa, was founded in 2001 by Monash University. Following the acquisition of Monash South Africa by the Advtech Group in April 2019, the IIE MSA is now part of The Independent Institution of Education (The IIE), a leader in the higher education sphere. The IIE is also internationally recognised by the British Accreditation Council. The IIE MSA is located on a 100-hectare campus in Ruimsig, Johannesburg, in the province of Gauteng. In addition to domestic (South African) students, the IIE MSA is home to diverse cultures of students from different African countries.
IIE MSA is seeking outstanding appointees in the field of Accounting, to strengthen the teaching and research capabilities in the School of Finance and Accounting.
The primary purpose of this position is the development and delivery of effective teaching on the relevant qualifications, including the associated academic activities to support student engagement and to promote student success and learning. This may include responsibility for modules from conceptualisation through to assessment and responsibility for an integrated, effective curriculum within qualifications. Participation in scholarship such as research is also required. Effective lecturers need to be active members of the institutional academic community, contributing to and participating in the development, effective governance and reputation development of the institution
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Lecture preparation, delivery and all related teaching and assessment activities across the relevant modes of delivery;
- Marking of assessments and timeous and constructive feedback to students;
- Development of learning activities, learning material, assessment instruments and rubrics and memoranda as required;
- Participation in peer review of the marking and lecturing of other lecturers; and
- Participation in quality assurance and development associated with own teaching.
- Responsibility for allocated modules and qualifications from the point of conceptualisation to assessment and including but not limited to review and the development of appropriate learning materials and pathways;
- Participation in curriculum development and review within the School;
- Engagement in review and improvement and quality assurance activities of the Faculty;
- Adherence to institutional norms, standards, policies and processes; and
- Development of academic material and assessments on programmes as required, including, but not limited to, the roles of developer, module leader, moderator or equivalent.
LECTURER & DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT
- Engage with Independent Contractors on the School programme/s to support the quality and equity of teaching and assessment;
- Conduct peer reviews in programmes of specialisation;
- Provide support to The IIE on modules and programmes of expertise;
- Support the adoption of institutional teaching and learning strategies and approaches and implement in own teaching and learning;
- Assist in any required research related to T & L
- Participate in lecturer orientation/briefing/forum;
- Participate in student orientation and Programme Information days; and
- Act as a panel member in the selection and recruitment process of Independent Contractors.
- Mentor new lecturers.
STUDENT DEVELOPMENT & SUPPORT
- Championing/leading and managing academic development and support for a specific programme and its students;
- Track individual student academic performance across the programmes in collaboration with the designated teaching and learning support team, including Learning Skills Advisors;
- Track student enrolment and success rates and work with the Teaching & Learning Specialist to put the necessary interventions in place to improve success, retention and completion rates;
- Assist where required with the experiential learning of students in their programme;
- Conduct student support interventions where required; and
- Appropriate academic administration as required (related to student development and support)
RESEARCH & SCHOLARSHIP
All designated academic employees are required to promote a culture of scholarship within their practice, discipline and campus/team and are also required to contribute towards The IIE achieving its annual research output targets. Individual research output unit/s will be set in consultation with your line manager on an annual basis (Informed by The IIE 018 Academic Conditions of Service Policy).
Chartered Accountant (South Africa) and a Master’s degree in any of the core accounting disciplines.
Minimum 2 years’ senior lecturing experience on either a third year or postgraduate SAICA accredited programme at a recognised tertiary institution.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Demonstrated capability to lecture, conduct tutorials and seminars at tertiary level in an effective manner in the core courses stipulated at the highest academic level;
- Experience in e-learning programmes;
- Competencies in curriculum design and development;
- Up-to-date knowledge of curriculum areas being taught;
- Demonstrated capacity to design, set and evaluate assessments at the appropriate level for the courses stipulated;
- A record of research and publication in scholarly journals;
- Ability to mentor and supervise academic activities.
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate modules, and conduct relevant module administration activities;
- Capacity to engage in inter-campus and inter-institutional team academic and/or community activities;
- Professional membership is required;
- High level of communication skills in verbal, written and electronic modes;
- Proven high-level administrative abilities
Interested persons are invited to submit a covering letter, together with their detailed CV responding to the selection criteria with details of three referees, to email@example.com
Please remember to quote the reference number. Enquiries in relation to this advertisement should be addressed to Mr. Grant Phakade at (011) 950 4040, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly rename all attachments with your name. i.e. Joe Soap cover letter, Joe Soap CV, etc.